Hugo vs Jekyll

Hi Kevin, what are your thoughts of Hugo vs. Jekyll when it comes to static site generators? I am still try to understand the concept of static sites but I was reading that some wordpress users were heavily affected by spammers that they were forced to use static sites. What is the key features that makes static sites immune to spammers. One problem with wordpress was when they mess with the DB by injection affecting the DB entries heavily.

Kf

I’ve actually never used Hugo (in fact I don’t think I’ve even heard of it before reading your post).

I really love Jekyll for my purposes. All I really need is a way to convert a bunch of markdown files into HTML files, which is exactly what Jekyll gives me. It’s not the right tool for every problem, but it’s exactly what I was looking for when I started putting together this site.

What makes static sites immune to spammers? Well, the fact that they’re static. That means there isn’t a way to add content to them by default: no comments or posts (other than from the original author) or user accounts. I use Discourse as a forum and for comments on blog posts, but all of that is external to Jekyll. By default Jekyll just gives me a bunch of HTML files that I can upload somewhere, which isn’t something that spammers can really take advantage of because they can’t add any content.

The best advice I have is to try out both and see which one solves your problems better.

How much work is there to do that? Would that be a plugin in jekyll that allows you to do this or do you do it yourself?

I was looking at jekyll but I run into a post about Hugo. Then were ranting that jekyll is based on RoR and it wasn’t as straightforward to setup. Hugo uses Go which seems to be better (?). I still have a questions like if you can insert iframe elements or how to setup email as in the case I want people to contact me through the site. But yeah, very pumped about this. Not sure yet what information I want to share in my site. I will start with the post/blog idea…

Kf

Jekyll just gives you HTML that you can embed JavaScript in. Discourse gives you JavaScript that you can paste in to enable comments.

More info here:

Sure. As mentioned, Jekyll just gives you HTML that you can embed JavaScript in. If you can create a form that generates an email, you can use that in Jekyll.