Today I learned that the Dutch word "leren" means both "teach" and "learn"

I was reading this paper: Adult CS Learning: Flexible learning from each
other

The authors pointed out that in their native language of Dutch, the word “leren” means both “teach” and “learn”.

Something about that sparks joy for me. I believe that the best way to learn something is to teach it, and that some of the best teachers are people who are still learning something themselves. So the fact that it’s literally the same word feels right to me.

Apparently this is true in a bunch of languages, not just Dutch: Which Languages Use The Same Word For 'To Learn' And 'To ...

Related reddit thread: Not sure if a repost, but I Iove this one; Dutch "leren" means both "to teach" and "to learn". And I just can't agree more. : etymology

Just wanted to share in case it sparks joy for anybody else.

(I’m experimenting with posting random little thoughts like this here instead of on Twitter. I’m open to feedback on whether this feels too spammy!)

1 Like

Uhm… I don’t think my reply fits the vibe, but I’d like to share something about the linguistics topic, if that’s okay. In my native language, there is an untranslatable (to English, at least) noun that is written like “saudades”. It refers to the feeling of missing a person, place or situation that is dear or that one has already lived and may not be recovered. And (I believe that) there are only a handful of languages ​​that have a word similar to that specific feeling, like the word “morriña” in Galician, “hiraeth” in Welsh and “toska” in Finnish which are words that have a similar meaning to “saudade”. These words all evoke a sense of nostalgia and melancholy for what is gone.

1 Like

I love that!